When you’re looking to get into shape, chances are the topic of protein comes up. Protein is necessary for a healthy body no matter your circumstances, but as you might have noticed, there’s more than one type you can consume to help accelerate the process. Casein protein is one such option, and it stands out beside choices like whey and other powdered supplements. What is casein protein, however, and why take it? Read on below to discover the benefits.
Casein protein comes from the milk of many different species, but is most commonly consumed by drinking cow milk. In fact, it makes up 80% of the protein you can find in milk, the other 20% coming from whey; it also carries all the essential amino acids required for life. As such, it’s a great addition to your diet, both in natural and powder form. What makes it one of the best choices for you, though?
It takes longer to digest. This might not seem like a benefit at first, but one of casein powder’s greatest strengths is that it’s digested more slowly by your body once consumed. Since it enters the bloodstream at a reasonably quick pace but isn’t as easy to break down as whey protein, it stays in your blood longer. In other words, it works for a longer amount of time; this also means it works more slowly, but it stops your body from breaking down more protein in the process. This isn’t to say whey protein is a bad alternative, but depending on your regimen, casein protein might be better for you to take.
It helps build muscle. As a dietary supplement, protein keeps you full and helps develop muscle mass. In the case of casein powder, the body turns to burning it up instead of muscle mass in the process of catabolism; any muscle you might have lost in this natural course of events is instead retained. Casein also assists in the rebuilding of damaged muscle tissues as a result, since it typically remains in the body long enough to replace other proteins and tissues that’d otherwise be spent.
It helps shed fat. Relating to the point above, casein powder protects muscles as your body burns stores of energy to power you during and after exercising. Fat is often one of the first things to go, so what is casein protein doing in particular to make more of it disappear? As it turns, casein protein bears a higher amount of calcium than other proteins, making it easier for pounds to be shed. Calcium also strengthens bones in the process, but you’ll have to find a good balance between the nutrients for maximum advantage. Beyond the calcium, though, protein helps you feel fuller; the better you control your diet and cravings, the more casein can have a positive effect.
It’s a high quality option. Casein powder comes packed with a lot to offer, such as the amino acids and calcium listed above. Thanks to its slow release, it makes a great midnight snack and can be consumed before bed to help repair muscle mass while you sleep. Even if you’re lactose intolerant, you can try changing your source of the protein; goat’s milk and the A2 strain of cow’s milk may be safe ways to naturally get it in your diet. Whey protein may be better for when you’re seeking a more immediate protein fix, but for building up your body over time, casein is hard to beat.
The next you wonder what is casein protein going to do for your body, simply remember that it takes its time strengthening your muscles and staving off unwanted weaknesses. When you need a supplement that won’t wash away or deliver long-lasting benefits, give casein a try.